I picked this calendula from my garden and brought it into the house to shoot it in natural light from a south-facing window. However, the sky was so dark and gray from the storm that I was not able to use the natural light to my advantage. I brought in a 65 watt halogen lamp for a little more light. I used white fabric for a backdrop and placed the flower in a vase. I don’t have a macro lens, but I wanted a macro feel, so I focused manually and placed the lens about 12 inches from the target. The photo is cropped for a macro appearance.
I had a “bright” idea. I needed more light for my flora and fauna shoot, and since I don’t yet have the light equipment I need, I improvised with the brightest halogen light I could find – my car’s headlights. This is a leaf still attached to the branch, and is shot from the stem’s perspective. I added a few drops of water for effect. Again, I was going for a macro appearance (without a macro lens). I covered the headlight with my white vellum fabric, and set the small branch on an empty white plastic ice cream pail. I placed the lens as close as I could and focused manually. I did a post crop for a macro effect.
Tip: If you use headlights as a light source make sure the engine is running to avoid draining the battery. Lesson learned!
Streaks in my Hair
I call this Streaks in My Hair because it reminds me of when my daughter was 15, and used to add red streaks to her long blonde hair. I’d only allow a couple of small red streaks on each side, just like this tiny plant has. This was taken at the BYU-Idaho Terrarium. I balanced my camera against a large tree for stability. Post production edits include increasing the golds and decreasing the vibrance in Photoshop.
This was taken in the BYU-Idaho gardens at one of the fountains. I picked a lavender colored daisy and set it to float. Post production edits include color correction and cropping in Lightroom.
What a Rack
There’s an Elk farm about a mile from my home. I shot this through the large opening in the wire fence, which also served as a stabilizer for the shot. Post production: straightened, increased the vibrance and contrast, adjusted the curves, and reduced blue hue using Photoshop.
This insect which resembles a ladybug was captured on a faun statue in the gardens at BYU-Idaho. I was practicing trying to get a macro shot without using a macro lens. I held my elbows close to my body to try to stabilize the camera shake. This little bug never stopped so I was pleased when I was able to capture this shot. I have cropped it, changed the orientation, and used the adjustment brush tool in Lightroom to lighten the shadow on the bug’s right back side, which was in shadow.
I learned from this shoot that sheep don’t like their photograph taken. I was careful to sneak up on this herd, but as soon as one of them saw me they all ran off in a frenzy and remained with their back ends towards me. I can take a hint. Post edits include slight cropping and decreased saturation in Photoshop.
I’m not super in love with the composition, but I am in love with this baby elk, so here it goes on my bonus shots section. I have increased the contrast and vibrance, and added gold tones to the grass in Photoshop.